When I sit with couples who are about to be married I love to have them write down their expectations for marriage and then I love to catch up with them after a year or so and see how those expectations are going. I recently came across a list that a lady put down before even meeting her husband to be and I thought it was excellent and it can fit for any man or woman as they prepare to meet the person they will live with for the rest of their life. Sometimes a man or lady just have the attitude that they are just wanting to meet someone and do not really care what the principles of their soon to be husband or wife are or what they would like to see in their marriage they just want to be married…. a recipe for disaster!
I want someone who…
- loves God with his whole heart.
- wants to talk to me everyday, 30 times a day if that’s what I need that day.
- can’t wait to see me again
- is always thinking about me
- surprises me, in good ways from the little to the big
- plans dates for me
- follows through on what he says he’s going to do
- is consistent in his actions and behavior
- doesn’t disappear
- reassures me of his feelings for me with his actions and words
- wants the whole world to know how he feels about me, isn’t afraid to show it or say it
- puts me first, after God.
- is not afraid of my sensitivities, scars and wounds but wants to be a part of healing them
- always makes time for me no matter what else is going on.
- pursues me
What about you? What are you looking for in a spouse. Nobody is perfect, for sure, but I honestly believe it’s a good idea to set the bar high. Create a list today, why don’t you? And if your married why not create a list of your expectations for your marriage moving forward….. it is never to late!